Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How much is this worth?

Lio has really been into money lately.  Spending mine, that is.  It seems like we can't go anywhere without him asking me to buy him something.  I tell him in the nicest way possible that he is welcome to bring his own money, and he can buy whatever his little heart desires.  He usually doesn't want to do this, so I guess my response is working.  

Next thing I know, Lio is asking me to pay him to do things around the house.  Who in the world introduced this kid to the concept of an allowance?!  I never got one as a kid.  I was expected to do things around the house to help because I was a part of the family.  It was my job.  As much as I didn't like it at the time, I do understand it now.  

But at the same time, I want him to understand that things cost money, and you have to save money, and you have to make good decisions about what to spend money on.  I think we are going to keep the idea that he is a part of the family and is expected to help out, but also give him the opportunity to do extra things to earn a little cash.  

During our Spring clean-up outside last weekend, there were millions of sticks and twigs in the yard from all of the crazy storms we've seen over the past year.  I told Lio that he could earn some money by helping to pick up as many sticks as he could.  He did end up with a pretty big pile, and didn't complain at all along the way.  How much do you think a big pile of sticks is worth?

1 comment:

  1. We give a $2/wk allowance, not specifically attached to the chores that are expected. Our thinking is that they have to contribute to family chores, regardless. But, as parents get an "weekly allowance" to spend as we wish- lunch out, little things, or saving up for something bigger. So, they get a little spending money themselves. We generally don't buy toys for the kids unless it is a birthday or Christmas. They have to save up for their own things. The boys have their paper routes to earn money- most of it goes into the bank. Emma doesn't really have an extra source of income. I'm going to give Emma a box of Armour-All wipes to clean the inside of my car and give her $5! We also encourage them to contribute to charitable things that come up at school or karate. (That pile of sticks looks like it is worth $2-$3)

    ReplyDelete