Monday, April 20, 2009

For the Birds


I am so happy that Lio and Paloma have the same love of birds that I do.  
  
For the past few weeks we have been watching a pair of robins build their nest in a tree close to our house.  The pair has been named "Mr. and Mrs. Spaghetti".  We saw them working so hard to get a ribbon up to their tree to incorporate into the new home they were building.  It looked like they were eating a long piece of spaghetti, hence their nicknames.  There is also a pair of cardinals that have built their nest in another tree in our backyard.  It's so nice seeing the couples each day, even though they do not seem to be the best of neighbors!

This past weekend, John bought a bird feeder and set it up right outside so we can see it from our kitchen table.  Just today, we have seen lots and lots of action!  There was a woodpecker with beautiful red feathers on its head, and the rest came with their mates - a pair of chickadees, our cardinal couple, a goldfinch pair, and a few others that we haven't seen before.  It's going to be so great watching the birds and learning all of their names!  Lio already has plans for a hummingbird garden in the works.  I can't wait to see and hear all of our bird friends!  I hope that one day I can get a good enough picture to share with you.    

1 comment:

  1. Goldfinch are my favorite- I don't cut down the purple coneflowers outside my kitchen window so that I get visitors in the wintertime.

    ReplyDelete