Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cookie Fiasco


Ok, so the preparations that have kept me busy for the past couple of days involved making Lio's birthday dragon cookies.  It literally took me 2 days to create them, and I have to say that I am disappointed in how they turned out.  I used my new favorite sugar cookie recipe - makes the fluffiest cookies that aren't too sweet.  That was my 1st mistake.  The dragon cookie cutter was so big that the soft cookies couldn't take the pressure.  The 2nd problem was the cookie cutter itself - it didn't lay flat and had so many intricate edges that made the cookies hard to cut out.  Between the cutting out and baking, many many dragons lost wings, tails and heads.  And did I mention that because of the size I could only bake 5 at a time?  

The frosting didn't go much better.  It was late, I was tired, I gave up on going for the detail.

I had to individually wrap cookies for Lio's class.  Yes!  You guessed it - more broken cookies.  

Since Lio doesn't care too much for cake or cupcakes, I feel like I should go all out on his cookies.  I guess next year I should start a week early!  I think he liked them, though.
  

2 comments:

  1. I think they are sweet.....he looks like one of the dragons from Dragon Tales! Did Lio ever watch that show on PBS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. please don't say dragon tales to lio - not realistic enough and for babies!!!

    ReplyDelete