Tuesday, November 3, 2009

getting in the spirit

OK, so I've mentioned that John and I aren't really into Halloween, but I have to admit that it is getting more and more fun each year with the kids! I haven't ever "decorated" for Halloween before, but last week, at the last minute, I decided to work on that a bit and make the house a little more festive.

I love the look of silhouettes, so just by using black paper I was able to cut out some bats, owls and skulls to hang over the kitchen island. I also hung up all of the fun art that the kids brought home from school all week.

Paloma helped me make the "BOO" decorations that we hung from our indoor tree branches and we also made a "HAPPY HALLOWEEN" banner in the same style. My favorite part of the decorations were the flying bat garland and the bats in the mirrors around the house.

We had all of our pumpkins in the house until Halloween day, since our first set were stolen from our porch a few weeks ago! :( That helped make it feel a little more festive as well, and makes me want to bring them back inside again. But I won't! :)

I had read somewhere about how it's important to mark the passing of time - change your surroundings to celebrate the time of year and the different seasons. Paloma and Lio did love getting in the spirit and seeing the decorations, and I did, too. Time goes too quickly these days, and it is important to make each occasion a memorable one.

2 comments: