Monday, August 24, 2009

1st


Today was Lio's 1st day of 1st grade. I'm sure that I was way more nervous than he was. I mean, come on, at school for an entire day? Paloma and I really missed him. We heard the bus taking the kindergardeners home around lunch time, and couldn't even believe that Lio had 4 more hours left until he came home!

Lio really didn't want to take the bus to school - said it's too hot and loud in the morning, but was content to take it home. I'm happy to take him - it is why I'm home, right? And if it makes him feel better starting school I'm all for it. (We'll see if my attitude changes once the weather gets cold!) We drove to school and parked a block away so we could walk him to his classroom.

Once we got to the doors, parents were sent away. I couldn't believe I wasn't allowed to walk him to his room! I wasn't really prepared to say goodbye yet, and just wanted to make sure he was settled. That's probably the exact reason they don't allow us clingy parents in! He was so brave (just a glimmer of hesitation in his eyes) and just walked on in. I really had to fight back the tears as Paloma and I walked away.

Keeping Paloma busy all day was exhausting in and of itself. I could really tell she missed her big brother, even though they have been like oil and water for the past week. We went to the grocery, and she was very thoughtful in picking things out that Lio would like. A few times she commented on how quiet it was. I'm definitely going to have to have a plan for us each day!

I pre-warned her that he would probably be tired when he got home, and that meant grumpy. But it was actually the opposite! He was happy to sit and talk to me, and wanted me to ask him questions about his day. I'm hoping that this 1st day of 1st grade is just a glimpse of the year to come. I can't believe how big and brave he is. I'm so proud of him.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you couldn't go INTO his room....even until last bell rang? Sounds like the teacher has her plans in place. I'm glad he had a good first day. (Cute shirt!) Did he ride the bus today? I'm taking them in tomorrow for the first day and then it is the bus. New building- wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not only could i not go into his room - i couldn't even go into the building!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a handsome boy! can't believe he is gone all day...i miss him for you!!

    ReplyDelete