Tuesday, September 29, 2009

off to a great start?

Paloma's 1st day of preschool was a few weeks ago. In some ways I know that she is so ready, but in other ways I haven't really prepared her for being there without me. When Lio started, I was so nervous - I actually planned some little classes for him to take without me so that he would be at least a little familiar with the concept. But Paloma's just always been with me, except for the year that I worked part-time, and she was in such a wonderful place and Lio was right there with her.

Aside from talking about it a little bit, we didn't do much to prepare other than get new shoes for school, and I made her a little tote bag with a special pocket to hold a stuffed animal.

Here she is, take 1.

Cute, smiling, picked out her own outfit, all ready to go.

We had a little time before we had to go, so I had her run out in the backyard to get something for me. When she came back in, there was a pretty stinky smell. She had stepped in a big pile of something, and that something was all in the treads of her new shoes, splashed up all over the backs of her cute knee socks, and God knows where else. Back upstairs for a super fast outfit change.

Good thing she's so go with the flow.

Here she is, take 2.

Look at that goofy smile and those non stinky shoes. I just love her.

John surprised her by meeting her at her new school. She was so excited that he would take the time to do that. He is a good dad.

When I picked her up from school I noticed little tear lines down her face. When I asked if she'd been crying she said that she just missed me. I cried when I left her, too, so I told her that I missed her as well. I told her that she didn't miss out on anything - I was busy cleaning her shoes with a toothbrush and toothpicks!

She talks about school non-stop, and so far there haven't been any more tears. She's still happier when it's not a school day, but I know that she loves it, and that's just going to keep on growing. I thinks she's in a really great place, and despite the outfit change, off to a great start.



2 comments:

  1. I think I like her second outfit better anyway!!

    And I REALLY like the tote bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked her 2nd outfit better, too. it's just that that 1st one was her own pick. ;)

    ReplyDelete